You are here
Dr. Robert Mason joined Tidewater Orthopaedics in 2018. He is fellowship-trained by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons in hand and upper extremity surgery. Dr. Mason chose orthopaedics because of his hobbies, carpentry and home improvements, and he could not think of a better career to tie his attention to details with his ability to return patients to activities they enjoy. He respects his patients’ desires and strives to provide them the ability to meet their goals. Dr. Mason will be seeing patients at both the Hampton and Suffolk locations.
Dr. Mason was born and raised in the small town of Malone, NY. He started his training at Clarkson University in Potsdam, NY earning a bachelors degree in Chemical Engineering. His first career was in the manufacturing industry where he worked for several years. He returned to Clarkson to earn a Masters in Engineering and Global Operations Management. During this time, his wife became a nurse and he was exposed to the medical field. At that point he realized he had missed his calling and decided to leave the field of manufacturing behind to attend medical school. He attended the State University of New York Upstate Medical University in Syracuse where he received his Doctor of Medicine degree. After medical school, Dr. Mason completed his orthopaedic surgery residency at the University of Rochester Medical Center in Rochester, NY. Then he completed an additional year of training with a focus on upper extremity surgery, shoulder to hand, at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in Winston Salem, NC.
Dr. Mason currently lives in Poquoson, VA with his wife, two children and their huskies. He enjoys spending time with his family, whether it is at the beach, watching a movie or playing/watching sports with their children. In his spare time he enjoys many activities such as basketball, football, baseball, golf, and fishing as well as working on various home improvement projects.
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Winston Salem, NC
Hand/Upper Extremity Fellowship
- 2012– 2017
University of Rochester
Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
- 2008 – 2012
Upstate Medical University
Doctor of Medicine
- 2005 – 2008
Master of Science – Engineering and Global Operations Management
Bachelor of Science – Chemical Engineering
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, board eligible
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Fellow, 2018
- Commonwealth of Virginia Board of Medical License to Practice Medicine and Surgery (#0101263939)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Candidate Member
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand – Candidate Member
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Sentara CarePlex
- CarePlex Orthopaedic Ambulatory Surgery Center (COASC)
- Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center
Research and Publications
- Mason RC and Hammert WC. Acute Scaphoid Fracture Management: Dorsal Approach. In J. Yao (Ed.), Scaphoid Fractures and Nonunions. A Clinical Casebook. Springer International Publishing Switzlerland. Sep 2015. Ch3: 21-34.
- Mason R, Buckley T, Southgate R, Nicandri G, Miller R, Voloshin I. "Radiographic Study of Humeral Stem in Shoulder Arthroplasty After Lesser Tuberosity Osteotomy or Subscapularis Tenotomy." The American journal of orthopedics.. 2018 May; 47(5)
- Mason R and Baumhauer J. Letter to the Editor: Comparison of Cannulated Screws Versus Compression Staples for Subtalar Arthrodesis Fixation. Foot Ankle Int. 2015 Oct 36 (10): 1253
- Lavelle WF, Bianco A, Mason R, Betz RR, Albanese SA. Pediatric disk herniation. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2011 Nov; 19 (11): 649-56.
- West KR, Mason RC, Sun M. Nocardia spinal epidural abscess: 14 year follow-up. Orthopedics. 2012 Jan 16;35 (1): e128-31 doi: 10.3928/01477447-20111122-27
NEW Hand Center Offers Specialty Care to the Peninsula
Tidewater Orthopaedics welcomes Dr. Robert C. Mason, Upper Extremity Specialist
Tidewater Orthopaedics is happy to announce the arrival of their new upper extremity specialist to the practice.
Dr. Robert Mason joins...Read More