Dr. Michael Higgins is the first Orthopaedic surgeon in Virginia to use the Navio robotic system to perform partial knee replacements. He is...Read More
You are here
Dr. Michael Higgins, born and raised in Buffalo, New York, joined Tidewater Orthopaedics in Hampton, VA in 2006 and is a board-certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and fellowship-trained by the American Acaedemy of Orthopaedic Surgeons in hip and knee replacement specialist. He believes practicing orthopaedic surgery and serving his patients is a privilege, a philosophy he learned from his mentors throughout his orthopaedic training.
Dr. Higgins began his training at The State University of New York at Geneseo, where he earned his undergraduate degree before continuing on to medical school at the State University of New York Upstate Medical University in Syracuse. After receiving his medical degree, Dr. Higgins completed his orthopaedic surgery residency at Buffalo University, The State University of New York, and an additional year of specialty training focused on complex hip and knee replacement at the Roanoke Orthopaedic Center in Roanoke, Virginia. The most rewarding aspects of his practice are fixing or reconstructing orthopaedic problems, whether simple or very complex, and restoring mobility in his patients so they can continue to live active and fulfilling lifestyles.
Joint replacement and revision surgeon, Michael E. Higgins, M.D., sees patients in Hampton, VA as well as Williamsburg, VA.
Dr. Higgins currently lives in North Suffolk, VA with his wife and two sons. Outside of work, he loves spending time with his family, collecting and restoring classic muscle cars, following professional and fantasy football, water and snow skiing, saltwater fishing, playing golf, and perfecting the art of barbecuing.
- 2005 – 2006
Roanoke Orthopaedic Center
Joint Replacement and Lower Extremity Reconstruction Fellowship under Dr. Joseph T. Moskal
- 2001 – 2005
State University of New York at Buffalo
Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
- 2000 – 2001
State University of New York at Buffalo
General Surgery Internship
- 1996 – 2000
Upstate Medical University
Doctor of Medicine
- 1992 – 1996
State University of New York at Geneseo
Bachelor of Science
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2008
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Fellow, 2009
- Commonwealth of Virginia Board of Medical License to Practice Medicine and Surgery (#0101237682)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Resident Member, 2001 – Current
- Virginia Orthopaedic Society, Associated Fellow, 2005 – Current
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, Fellow, 2011 – Current
Awards and Appointments
- US News and World Report “Top Doctor”, June 2011
Research and Publications
- Type III Acetabular Defect Revision with Bilobed Components – Five Year Results Moskal JT; Higgins ME; Shen J Clinical Orthopaedics and related Research (466): 691-95; 2008 June
- When Computer Assisted Surgery is the Only Option Virginia Orthopaedic Society – Presentation, Norfolk, VA, 5/14/2006
- The Use of Bilobed Porous-Coated Acetabular Components Without Structural Bone Graft for Type III Acetabular Defects in Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty Virginia Orthopaedic Society – Presentation, Norfolk, VA, 5/14/2006
- Surgical Pearls for Your Learning Curve with Direct Anterior Hip Arthroplasty, Norfolk. VA, 4/15/10
- Long Term Outcome Following Surgical Resection of Lumbar Juxtafacet Cysts, Higgins ME; Lifeso RE; Kowalski J
- Effect of End Cutting Intramedullary Reamers on Host-Allograft Contact Area: A Laboratory Investigation Higgins ME; McGrath BE; Mihalko W
- Biomechanical Analysis of Humeral Diaphyseal Segmental Defect Fixation Henry JC; Dameron TA; Weiner MM; Higgins ME; Werner FW; Sim FH Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research (396): 231-9; 2002 March
Dr. Higgins performing robotic surgery using the Navio Robotic Surgical System
Are you interested in learning more about the Direct Anterior Hip Replacement or “Jiffy” Hip?
If so, join Dr. Michael Higgins in our Hampton Office May 20 from 6:00pm to 7:00pm for an informative lecture. Come hear why this is such a great...Read More
Dr Higgins On Ask the Expert WNIS 790AM
Tune in to WNIS 790AM radio, Weds. Oct. 9 from 6 to 7pm and hear Dr. Higgins talk about your joint replacement options. Dr. Higgins, a fellowship-...Read More
Dr. Michael Higgins appearing on WAVY 10 Hampton Roads Show
Look for Dr. Michael Higgins on Wavy 10’s Hampton Roads Show, Tuesday, July 9 between 11am & 12pm. Dr. Higgins will...Read More
Dr. Michael Higgins talks about Joint Replacements
Join us for a Community Lecture on Joint Replacement Options in our Hampton office, Thursday, Jan. 24 at 6:30pm.
Listen to Dr. Higgins on WNIS 790AM radio speak on Hip and Knee Replacements
Dr. Higgins will be on WNIS 790AM Ask the Expert, Weds. January 9, 2013 from 6-7pm talking about Hip and Knee Replaceements. Listen to an Expert...Read More
Talk Radio – Hip and Knee Replacements
Listen to WNIS 790 AM from 6-7pm 9/12/2012 and hear Dr. Michael Higgins talk about Hip and Knee Replacements. Listen and get informed. You will...Read More
Join Dr. Michael Higgins on August 21 or August 22 to learn about new advances in the treatment of Hip conditions, Hip Replacement Surgery, and...Read More
Hip Replacement Lecture
August 7, 6-7pm, Dr. Michael Higgins Speaking on Hip Replacement surgery at the Orthopaedic Hospital at Sentara CarePlex.
Community Lecture, June 12, 6:30pm
Join us for a free Community Lecture on Hip and Knee Replacements. Dr. Higgins to present Tuesday, June 12, 6:30pm, Hilton Garden Inn Harbour...Read More