Through 60 years of marriage, raising three children, and going back to get my GED so I could work full time when my husband became ill and was no...Read More
You are here
Dr. Jonathan Mason, a Norfolk native, returned to Hampton Roads and joined the team of subspecialists at Tidewater Orthopaedics in Hampton, VA in August of 2014. He is board-certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and performs minimally invasive outpatient spine surgery and treats spine problems, including cervical herniated disc, cervical stenosis, lumbar herniated disc, lumbar stenosis, lumbar spondylolisthesis, and degenerative scoliosis.
Dr. Mason received his doctor of medicine degree from the Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk after securing his bachelor of science degree in chemistry from Wheaton College in Wheaton, Illinois. Following his graduate studies, he completed his residency training at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville and his fellowship training in spine surgery at the Twin Cities Spine Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Back and neck doctor, Jonathan R. Mason, M.D., sees patients in Hampton, VA as well as Williamsburg, VA.
Dr. Mason’s father was a doctor, which helped develop his passion for the profession. He was also drawn to orthopaedic surgery because it is both challenging and rewarding. The most rewarding part of his job is interacting with and helping his patients. In his spare time, Dr. Mason enjoys playing basketball, golf, and wakeboarding, but most of all he enjoys spending time with his family and running, as he has completed several marathons.
- 2013 – 2014
Twin Cities Spine Center
- 2008 – 2013
University of Virginia, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
Committees & Service
- 2004 – 2008
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Doctor of Medicine, Elected Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society 3rd year
- 2000 – 2004
Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, Cum Laude
- 2009 – 2013
University of Virginia, Recruitment Committee
- 2008 – 2010
Team Physician for Louisa High School and Fork Union Football
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- North America Spine Society
- Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society
- Virginia Orthopaedic Society
- Junior Resident of the Year at University of Virginia
- Administrative Chief Resident
- Mason JR, Shen HF, Shimer LA, Lumbar Spine Pseudarthrosis: Scope of Problem, Evaluation, Imaging, and Treatment. Orthopaedic Knowledge Online, Accepted for CME
- Arlet MV, Mason JR, Anterior approach to the thoracic spine for pediatric deformity. Pending Publication in Surgical Atlas of Spine Surgery, Vaccaro RA
- Failure of Pelvic Fixation after Long Construct Fusions in Adult Deformity Patients; Clinical and Radiographic Risk Factors.
- Congenital cervical spine anomalies, novel classification system
- Mason JR, Caycedo FR. Arthroscopic sessamoid resection
- Case presentation Carilion Clinic Orthopaedics, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Pain No Longer Controls My Retirement – As told by Imogene Fields
A Doctor Going the Extra Mile Saved My Life – As told by Kevin Maness
As a heavy equipment operator, I am used to stiffness and soreness in my body. There have been times I have ignored the pain, but my most recent...Read More
Overcoming My Fears and Reclaiming My Life – As told by Marleen Press
I hadn’t been bothered by my spinal stenosis in years. That is, until last summer.
In June of 2016, I noticed my big toe on my right...Read More
Tidewater Orthopaedics welcomes to Hampton, Newport News, & Williamsburg a new Spine Specialist!
Tidewater Orthopaedics is happy to announce the arrival of a new Spine Specialist to our practice.
Dr. Jonathan Mason, a Norfolk...Read More