Shoulder Impingement Treatment From the Orthopaedic Experts at Tidewater Orthopaedics – Serving Hampton, Williamsburg, Newport News & Nearby VA Cities
The goal of shoulder impingement treatment is to address this painful condition that can result from trauma or natural wear and tear on the shoulder joint. For expert diagnosis and treatment of any type of shoulder pain, residents of Hampton, Williamsburg, Newport News, and the surrounding Virginia areas can turn with confidence to Dr. Loel Payne at Tidewater Orthopaedics. Dr. Payne, a board-certified (American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery) orthopaedic surgeon with fellowship training (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons) in shoulder surgery, and our other outstanding surgeons offer a full range of advanced treatments, including both conservative and surgical options, for shoulder impingement and other musculoskeletal conditions.
Specifically, shoulder impingement treatment might become necessary if, due to repetitive motion or trauma, the bones in the shoulder joint begin to encroach the rotator cuff tendons or bursa (a fluid-filled sac that cushions the joint). The condition can cause persistent pain that worsens with upward motions, such as reaching overhead. Over time, it can cause inflammation of the rotator cuff tendons (tendonitis) or of the bursa (bursitis).
In most cases, rotator cuff tendonitis and bursitis can be treated without surgery. At Tidewater Orthopaedics in Hampton Roads, Dr. Payne often recommends the following forms of shoulder impingement treatment:
- Activity modification to avoid overhead movements that worsen the condition
- Physical therapy to strengthen and stabilize the shoulder joint
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications to reduce swelling and relieve pain
- Steroid (cortisone) injections into the bursa for pain relief if other medications and exercise are not helpful
- Arthroscopic surgery to stabilize the shoulder joint and decrease strain on the rotator cuff tendons (usually considered only after several months of non-surgical treatment proves to be ineffective)
To learn more about shoulder impingement treatment options, contact Tidewater Orthopaedics at 757-827-2480. Residents of Hampton, Williamsburg, Newport News, and the other VA cities can count on receiving personalized care from Dr. Payne and our entire team of orthopaedic experts and physical therapists.